Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Big Bully!


We have all heard the news lately. A kid kills himself after being bullied for being gay. Another kid kills himself after being bullied for being different. A grown man kills himself by jumping off a bridge after roommates invade his privacy and record him having sex with a man. It has spawned many ads and tv specials devoted to ending bullying. It would seem that bullying is a new thing. As if it just started with the inception of the Internet or other technologies. But fact be told, bullying has gone on forever. And it will continue.

Some wonder if Bullying is worse now than years ago. I would venture to say no. Ask someone that had their pants pulled down in 1980 is they will feel it was easier for them. Nope. A hurt kid is a hurt kid. Now technology has given rise to new methods of bullying but it still has the same lasting effect on our children as well as adults. When I was in middle school and early high school I felt terrible about who I was. I had strange looks...a big butt, super dry skin, dark and light skin on my face...WOW! Those were the times. But what it took was having a parent that kept me on the right track and made me understand that this stuff will happen but as the ads are saying now...It will get better. And it did. I am glad I made it through those years but many others have not.

Parents need to get to the schools and make sure that the schools are taking an active role to reduce bullying and maximize safety for your kids. If you have to sit in the class with your kid. Talk to the Principal and DOCUMENT! It is the duty of the school to keep your children safe when they are there. And constant bullying is not safety. Stay involved and become an active member of the PTA. This will help you develop a team around you when you need help. Well much love friends!

3 comments:

  1. May I just request that you make your text white? I have a really hard time reading the blue...Thanks.

    When I was in 10th grade, my sister told a girl who didn't like me at all, a terrible secret about me. She spread it all over the school and the boys came up with nasty names for me which they used frequently. Then one day, a boy tripped me with my lunch, which went flying across the room, while they stood on the tables chanting those awful names.

    I fled to the girls room where I cried for hours. The next day I quit school, began dating airman and became a heavy drinker. Had it not been for moving away, I dont' know where I would have ended up, but it was traumatic to say the least. It forever altered how I feel about myself.

    Kids who engage in this behavior should have severe consequences. Did those roommates get expelled from school? They should have...there should also be some crimimal repurcussions. There is no excuse for hurting other people just for some laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. COnnie, thank you for commenting. This is a serious post. I think there should be a harsh punishment for kids too...Because bully kids turn into bully adults. It has to stop. I was bullied pretty bad at one point and then gladly it stopped. I had to learn to love myself in spite of others. People do have to understand a difference in someone just not liking another kid and being mean to them and a bully. Because there is a difference. Sometimes it is kids being kids and sometimes it crosses that line.

    Oh and the color...well I just love Blue. I will think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love blue too! But against the black bkgrd it's hard to see... JMHO

    ReplyDelete